Friday, February 13, 2015

I Went Microwave-Free!

Hello Fellow Foodies!!
It's been forever, and I tend to do that...disappear. I have serious problems with commitment when my hobbies are concerned. I've been meaning to post for a while now. No serious intentions, I just want to throw my words into the wind and hope they can be of help.

Alright!

 My microwave oven broke two weeks ago. I've had some apprehension when using the microwave for the longest time, but it was convenient and fast. I always felt something was just not right with using radiation to cook our food. It stayed in the back of my mind for years, just like when I wanted to become a vegetarian but needed that little push to jump. Well, our microwave oven broke and we decided not to replace it. It's been two weeks and our food, especially reheated, tastes better than ever! Yes, it takes longer but once you set your mind to it, you make the time and meal times are certainly more delicious.

Here's an example of my breakfast and lunch before and after:
With the microwave my breakfast used to consist of microwaved water for my tea or microwaved almond milk. A toasted peanut butter, jelly and sunflower seeds sandwich and sometimes microwaved oatmeal.
Without the microwave, I heat the water in a kettle over the burner or I heat the almond milk in a small pot and then I add semisweet chocolate chips and stir until dissolved. I'm sticking with the toasted pb&j with toasted unsalted sunflower seeds that I got at Trader Joe's, for now...yum! I still have to try the oatmeal.

For lunch,  I would drink tea with microwaved water, then I would toast two slices of bread, melt some cheese in the microwave and add a microwaved egg and some greens. Now, I am having the best sandwiches: I place a slice of bread on a nonstick pan, I add a little cheddar cheese (the stronger the taste, the less you need), a sliced hard-boiled egg, half a sliced avocado, some salt, pepper and a few drops of lemon juice. Then I top it with another slice of bread. Toast it on one side, then the other and presto! If one side is a little burned it is actually more yummy, don't ask me why, I hate bitter stuff but here it works...

Not having a microwave oven feels good... there's nothing worse than feeling some kind of guilt when cooking or eating.

It feels great to post again...I'll post some pictures soon.

Eat yummy!

xoxo, Curiouseed


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...