Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Lessons and Discoveries

Sleep Patterns

I want to share with you what I've been doing lately. The last post I talked about ayurveda, I am really proud of myself because I've been sticking to some of the ideas Chopra shared in his book. I've been waking up at 5:50 am every single day, because according to this Indian philosophy, the hours from 2:00 to 6:00 are full of energy, meaning that if you wake up before 6 am, you will really take advantage of your day. It has worked, the only issue is that by 9 pm I barely exist. He doesn't recommend it but other websites do recommend taking a short nap between 2 pm and 4 pm, especially for Vata people that get drained out of energy more easily. These times are also full of energy so the nap shouldn't leave you groggy. To be honest, in the last month I've taken a couple of naps only, I've discovered that a restorative yoga session does wonders when you need to rest. This is a pretty good yoga sequence if you want to try it out.


Monday's Liquid Diet


Also, I've been doing a liquid diet on Mondays and it's really not hard at all, I stay very satisfied all day long. At 6 am I make a peanut butter and oatmeal smoothie. At around 10 am depending on how hungry I am, I either drink another oatmeal smoothie or just a big cup of coffee or grain coffee with almond milk. At 12:30 pm, I blend one large cup (probably 14-16oz cup) of lentil soup. At 5:00 pm, I drink a green smoothie (I guess the soup is very satisfying, that is a big stretch without food!). At 8 pm I drink another cup of lentil soup. At 10:30 I go to bed and I'm not hungry at all. Once a week is really a great idea to give our digestive system a break. I will definitely post the recipes of the meals I just mentioned, they're very easy and quick. On these days if I exercise I try to do it lightly because I can run out of energy easier being that the food does not take that long to get digested, I feel fine but don't want to take any chances...

 

Hygiene

 

I discovered a great way to sanitize and get rid of nasty smells on sponges. The other day I read an article that said that ultraviolet light was the best way, so by putting your smelly sponge under the sunlight would do the trick. Well, I live in a city apartment and honestly, I don't think the air outside is that great to clean the sponge I wash my dishes with. So, I began my quest to find another way. I tried bleach and although it was clean, it smelled horrible. I tried soaking it in a baking soda and peroxide solution, no luck. Finally, I tried the good old-fashioned white vinegar...the trick is to soak the sponge with it and microwave it for 2-3 minutes (depending on your microwave's power), it definitely worked! The vinegar and heat definitely kill bacteria, try it!



Stubbornly learned Lesson

Last Saturday, I went to Whole Foods in Montclair. I was driving on Bloomfield Ave and all of a sudden a traffic officer asked me to pull over. He said that I had failed to stop for a pedestrian at an intersection and that he was giving me a warning. I thanked him and started driving, I didn't believe him, so I asked my husband and he said he didn't see anyone trying to cross anywhere either. We shopped and talked about the incident in between aisles, I even told him I wanted a dashboard camera, just in case something like this happens again. When we started our way back home, I see a big sign that said something like "pedestrian watch zone", I looked at the spot where they stopped me and I see a line of cars in the same situation. Then, looking very carefully I see an intersection that has no traffic lights and just a sign in the middle that says something like "stop for pedestrians, it is the law", I realized I never saw that before and there was a big possibility someone might have wanted to cross and couldn't because of me.That warning really worked. I've been driving for 2 1/2 months only but I guess it is very easy to forget some of the rules. The good thing is that I don't need to be told twice when I do something wrong, now I'm super careful when I'm driving and I see someone that might need to cross the street. The big secret here is to be as considerate as possible, it is really a great way to prevent accidents.

So that's what I've been up to...next post hopefully I'll be able to tell you everything about my birthday trip to Cape May, NJ and delight you with some yummy liquid recipes!

 

Xoxo

Curiouseed

 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...