Monday, April 1, 2013

Vegan Cheezy Spinach Rotini (single serve)

Spring is in the air and my energy is making an appearance after a very long time! So, what have I been up to all this time? Well, I've been driving...a lot! Charlie does not have great mileage (about 21 mpg) but experience really helps, every week I've been doing better and better. I know because the car has a cool feature that shows how many mpg I'm doing. At the beginning it was 18 mpg, not good at all! I've gone up to 21.5 mpg on the highway, now it's 20.5 mpg after driving a lot in the city over the weekend. One of the most memorable outings was the Brandi Carlile concert in NYC. I didn't drive to NY, only to the Path station in Harrison, NJ.  The original date for this concert was October 28, 2012 but was cancelled because of  hurricane Sandy. Luckily, it was rescheduled for March 22, 2013 (3 weeks after I got my driver's license). I really have no words to describe how awesome that concert was. In case you don't know who she is, Brandi Carlile is a rock/country/folk singer and songwriter from Seattle who has the most amazing voice...she can really reach deep inside your soul, twist it, crumble it and leave you wanting for more. I really did not want the concert to end! Here's the video of my favorite song:



Sigh...

OK, now to the food! The inspiration for this recipe comes from this blog and also from the best vegan cookbook ever: Veganomicon.
I sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top which is not vegan but you can replace it with vegan Parmesan cheese or just skip it. This is just a single serving, my husband is not a fan of nutritional yeast so I make this just for me :)

Vegan Cheezy Spinach Rotini

(1 big serving)


 

Ingredients

 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 cup water or unsweetened almond milk, cold
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 tablespoon vegan buttery spread (or butter)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pinch chipotle pepper flakes
1 serving Rotini pasta
Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions


Cook the spinach according to package instructions. 
In a small saucepan combine the nutritional yeast and the cornstarch.
Add the water or milk while stirring, taking care to not leave any lumps.
Cook over a medium-low flame, stirring constantly.
When the mixture starts to thicken (try to not let it boil), add the salt, mustard, buttery spread, garlic powder, chipotle pepper flakes and cooked spinach.
Remove from heat.
Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
Drain and stir in the cheezy sauce, mixing well.
Serve and sprinkle some Parmesan cheese (or cheeze) if desired.
Enjoy!!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...