Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Lentil-Oat Loaf and more!

I know it's been a while since I posted so I want to make up for it by sharing some big news: I passed my road test!! Yay!! and I got a car :-D!! It's a PT Cruiser and his name is Charlie (yes, I named the car)...

This is a huge event in my life, it's the last step to independence. So yes, now you are reading a post from a completely independent woman.

To tell you the truth it has been a very difficult week. First with the exam, I was so nervous, that whole week leading to the test I would shiver every time I realized how little time was left. Then after that, driving my own car! That was more exciting than nerve-racking but driving by myself was a big challenge. The first day on my own did not feel very good, I felt lonely and very tense. My whole body has been aching and I've been so tired! Either, I haven't recovered from the weekend (back and forth all 72 hours, even in my sleep) or the stress of driving every day is really affecting me...I've never felt so tired after a stressful situation, the good news is that after I incorporate the driving into my routine it should all go back to normal and I'll really start to enjoy it.



On another subject, I haven't been cooking much, just simple things like salad and spaghetti or simple stews or veggie hot dogs. For breakfast, I keep making green smoothies and peanut butter oatmeal or toast on a rare occasion. And since Friday I haven't even eaten a lot either, I could only think about driving, lol! I've been too excited to eat so you could say I've been on the I-got-a-new-car diet!  Anyway,  there's one recipe that was a big hit and worth of sharing, my very own Lentil Loaf. This recipe is a variation of the Lentil Picadillo recipe I've shared in the past. It is a Lentil Loaf that will rock your world! It tastes amazing and nutritionally, it cannot get any better, check it out...




  Lentil Loaf

Makes 4 Servings


Ingredients

  • 1 cup lentils, soak for at least 2 hours with 1 cup of water (measure before soaking)
  • 3 cups water with 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 4 cups onions, sliced (about 2 medium onions)
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1teaspoon cumin powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican Oregano)
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup oats cooked with 1 cup water
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • Bread Crumbs to coat pan
Instructions

 
  • Pour the 3 cups of water with salt into a medium saucepan and add the lentils.
  • Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until tender.
  • Drain.
  • In a large pot, heat the oil and  add the onions.
  • Cook until transparent.
  • Incorporate the lentils, red pepper flakes, cumin, oregano, paprika and salt.
  • Mix well.
  • Add the oatmeal
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. 
  • Grease a loaf pan and coat with bread crumbs.  
  • Let the mixture cool for a few minutes and mix in the eggs. 
  • Pour the paste into the pan and bake for 30 minutes. 
  • Let the loaf cool down before slicing.
  • Enjoy!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...