Saturday, February 9, 2013

Pickled Eggplant on Wheels

To be honest the eggplants are not on wheels but I am...fun fact: I am 27 years old and just learning to drive. In New Jersey, if you are older than 21 years old, after passing the written test you have an obligatory 3 month-period to practice before the big test. At first, I thought it was a long time but now, with less than a month left, I think it was the perfect practice time frame. I am just starting to feel confident behind the wheel but still have a lot to practice, switching lanes and parallel parking being the major issue at the moment. I think that learning how to drive at my age has helped me a lot, I surprised myself at how relaxed I've been, I thought I was going to be so scared but I've been pretty good. Years don't come in vain...




Foodwise, I am still in a relaxed mind set, meaning that I don't spend too much time experimenting in the kitchen. That doesn't mean I don't eat yummy foods, well, yummy can be so relative anyway...my body is asking for simple things like you've read before, I wonder if it's my body or my mind convincing the body to want those foods being that it will not get anything else! Lol! Either way, it works :-)



For a while my husband has been asking me to make pickled eggplants, I had made them about 5 years ago and for some reason I didn't make them anymore. So I texted my mom and she texted back the recipe, it's so simple you just need a couple of text messages! Here it goes:

Pickled Eggplants

Ingredients:

2 large eggplants, peeled or not ( I did half and half)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
Water
Garlic, minced
Oregano, preferably Mexican oregano, dried
2 bay leaves
Paprika
Red pepper flakes
Olive oil

Directions:

Fill a large pot with water.
Add salt and vinegar.
Slice the eggplants lengthwise, cut the slices in half if desired.
Add to the water and boil. They will look darker, limber and somewhat transparent when cooked.

Using a colander, drain and let them stand for 15-30 minutes to get rid of all the water and to let them cool down a bit.

In a pie plate or some other rimmed surface, arrange some of the eggplant slices in a flat layer.
Top with the garlic and all the spices. Add salt if necessary.
Drizzle with olive oil.
Repeat the whole process until no more slices are left.
At this point you can let them rest for half an hour or you can stir them right away.
Transfer to an air-tight container, preferably glass, I used mason jars.
Fill any empty spaces with more olive oil.
Refrigerate.
Enjoy with crusty bread, in burgers or veggie hot dogs! Yum!


You see? Simple yet delicious, till next time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...