Saturday, January 12, 2013

New Year brings New Attitude?

Happy New Year everyone! During this period of time that I've been absent I've entered a new phase. Like all the phases I go through I don't know how long they're going to last. This whole new attitude is trying to make me enjoy the simple things, mostly with my family. It wasn't planned, I just started feeling this way. I haven't been spending a lot of time in the kitchen, either. Just recently, I've begun catching a glimpse of inspiration but my desire is to enjoy the path others have created. It seems that my creativity is resting and it's my turn to be a follower. In my case, the problem with developing recipes is that I'm a perfectionist and I try them a million times to see if I could do something better. That affects my mind and my waist!! So for now, it looks like the universe is telling me to stop stressing out and to enjoy food and family as a pleasure and not an obligation to get it right every time.

Being that I don't have new ideas to share let me show you what I've been up to for the past month. For breakfast I've been having a green smoothie made with:
1 cup of water,
1 cup of almond milk,
ground flax seeds,
green leaf lettuce, 
1 banana and 
stevia extract. 

That makes 3 cups of delicious goodness, great way to replenish hydration after a good night sleep. And
two whole wheat toasts, one with cream cheese and jam, and the other with buttery spread and dulce de leche.

Simple but effective, I curb my sweet tooth cravings and I also meet part of my nutrient requirements for the day. Peanut butter and jelly is definitely an option for the coming week.

For lunch I've been having either a sandwich with veggie deli slices and whole wheat bread or some fruit and a serving of almonds. I also cut up some carrots, celery and red bell peppers to eat with hummus if I need a quick snack.When I feel like eating something sweet (sweet tooth, remember?), I make myself some oatmeal with peanut butter, raisins and stevia extract.



And for dinner, I've been making soups and stews, because they are easy and because I got a cast iron Dutch oven for Christmas! :-). The first stews I made tasted like metal, even though the pot came seasoned.  I did some research and I found out that flax seed oil works great to season cast iron. I went to Whole Foods Market and I found some flax seed oil in the vitamin section (only $4.99 for 8oz which is more than enough), I scrubbed the Dutch oven really good, dried it first with a towel and then on the fire and spread a thin layer of oil with a paper towel. I put the pot in a preheated oven to 350 degrees F and left it there for one hour. Turned off the heat and I let it cool in the oven. I repeated this for three days. The oil smells a little funny but the food wasn't affected by it. It worked like a charm, yesterday's meal came out perfect!
As you can see on the picture, last night I ate Thai Tofu, recipe courtesy of this blog and Russian salad which is basically potato salad with peas and carrots, yum!!

I have a feeling this year will be truly memorable, a bit tumultuous but in the end it will be great! Hope you are having a wonderful start!

Happy New Year! 


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...