Friday, November 9, 2012

Pumpkin-Cranberry Scones for the mind, body and soul

Thanksgiving is almost here once again and the guilt...oh the guilt, of eating too much. It is so hard to stay attuned to our bodies and listen to them when we have consumed just what we need. In my experience, I tend to overeat because of a few reasons and I've managed to identify three, not counting the very well known like hormonal changes, boredom and anxiety:

1- The very basic and superficial reason is that I cannot get enough of a taste, if still in my mouth I have to keep tasting to not lose it, even if my stomach says stop. Especially if I'm trying a new recipe and I need to figure out if people will like it or not.

2- My throat is not relaxed: I've noticed that when I am feeling anxious, angry or uneasy, I tense up the muscles of my throat just like we do when we are swallowing food and that feels like it is asking for more.   Although, I have no problem with it, I think there's a connection with the thyroid gland which is also the 5th chakra representing communication. Energy does not flow right if we do not communicate with ourselves.  When I make an attempt to relax it, I feel relieved and able to say stop. 

3- The most important reason is the power of the mind. If I just say what I want  but I don't compromise, if I don't feel my decision reach deep within me, it won't work at all. Usually when I hit rock bottom is when I make wise decisions about my diet and they work because I state and feel what I want.



We still have time to start working on a clear, full of passion decision to eat just what we need and also to learn how to relax and realize when we have had enough. We can be happy with ourselves if we take care and respect our bodies and establishing good eating habits is one way of doing it.

Now on to the food!

As you have read before, I have been using a mixture of blackstrap molasses and stevia to satisfy my sweet tooth. If you can't fight it (everyone knows I've tried!), join it. I need sweetness in my diet and I made the decision about a month ago to eat a healthy sweet treat together with a smoothie, ideally a green smoothie like this or like this, for breakfast. So far so good, no overeating being that I have set the limit of just one treat. After finishing my meal my stomach is really happy, no heaviness and no desire to keep eating. Of course, I brush my teeth after I'm done and setting a limit really helps to not overthink about what I just ate or if I can fit in something else.

This is what I've been enjoying for breakfast this week: Pumpkin and Cranberry scones. Cranberries are the fruit lowest in sugar which is great for diabetics and low-carbers. For those of you who have not tried them fresh or frozen, they are extremely tart, that's why I recommend spreading some low-sugar or sugar-free jam on top. You can always use blueberries ;-)

 One last thing, I recently opened a Facebook account for this blog, it would be awesome if you Like It here!!


Now, enjoy the scones, they are good for you!



PUMPKIN-CRANBERRY SCONES

by Ruth Reynoso-Sance
Prep Time: 15 MINUTES
Cook Time: 15 MINUTES
Ingredients (16 SCONES)
  • 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (if not available you can use 1/2 regular whole wheat and 1/2 white flour)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder (I used sodium-free)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (if not available, cinnamon powder works great)
  • 6 tablespoons coconut oil, softened (not liquid)
  • 4 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 40 drops liquid stevia extract or 6 packets Truvia or similar
  • 2 teaspoons orange zest
  • 1 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (I used canned)
  • 1 cup frozen cranberries, unsweetened
  • Jam of choice, to serve
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Line or grease 2 baking sheets.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and pumpkin spice.
Add the coconut oil and cut it into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Incorporate the cranberries into the flour mixture and distribute.
In a small bowl mix the molasses, honey, stevia, orange zest, milk and pumpkin puree.
Add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture and stir with a wooded spoon or by hand until moistened.
Do not over-mix.
In a lightly floured surface flatten the dough into a circle about 1" deep.
Cut it into 16 triangles.
 Lay the triangles onto the baking sheets.
Bake for 15 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown.
Serve with regular, low-sugar or sugar-free jam.


 Nutritional Information per scone
  • Calories: 155
  • Total Fat: 5.9g (Saturated 4.5g, Polyunsat. 0g, Monounsat. 0.4g, Trans. 0g)
  • Cholesterol: 0mg
  • Sodium: 74.4mg
  • Potassium: 268mg
  • Carbs: 24g
  • Fiber: 3.8g
  • Sugars: 5.5g
  • Protein: 2.5g
  • Vitamin A: 28.8%
  • Vitamin C: 1.6%
  • Calcium: 14.6%
  • Iron: 11.7%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. 


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...