Monday, September 24, 2012

Low Sugar Blackstrap Granola

Granola is one of my favorite snacks but I do not make it that often because it is very addictive. I just cannot stop eating!, and if you follow my blog you'll know that is one of the things I am trying to stop, or at least if I'm going to overeat, make it healthier. Sometimes my sweet tooth wants more than just stevia, that's when I decided to try blackstrap molasses. It has a high glycemic index but a little goes a long way. I've found out that it is one those things that you either love or hate, it is bitter-sweet and for some strange reason I love the taste (I hate bitter foods!). The good thing about this sweetener is that it is high in calcium, iron and potassium. Basically, everything that was taken out of refined white sugar is concentrated in this liquid, making it a very nutritious option when it comes to sweeteners.


I use 2-3 teaspoons a day to sweeten my coconut or almond milk, to drizzle on my oatmeal or to spread on bread. Another option is to make some granola with a mixture of stevia and blacktrap molasses adding some warm flavors to welcome Fall :), so here's the recipe:



Low Sugar Blackstrap Granola

by Ruth Reynoso-Sance
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast dessert snack gluten-free soy-free vegetarian vegan oats blackstrap molasses stevia flax seeds



Ingredients (8 servings)
  • 2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup reduced fat unsweetened coconut, finely shredded (I used Let's Do...Organic)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon powder
  • 4 tablespoons ground flax seeds mixed with 12 tablespoons of water
  • 2 tablespoons Blackstrap Molasses (I used Plantation brand)
  • 1/2 teaspoon liquid stevia extract (or 12 packets)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
Let the ground flax seeds and water rest for 5 minutes or microwave for 30 seconds, until it becomes gooey.
In a large bowl mix the oats, coconut, salt and cinnamon.
In a small bowl combine the flax seed mixture, molasses, stevia and vanilla extract.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
Spread the granola in a flat layer.
Bake for 20-25 minutes stirring every 10 minutes.
Let it cool before storing in an airtight container.
**You can add nuts, seeds or raisins but they will increase the calorie and/or sugar levels**


 Nutritional Facts per 1/2 cup

Calories: 143
Total Fat: 5.5g (Saturated 2.9g, Polyunsaturated 1.4g, Monounsaturated 0.8g, Trans. 0g)
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 124 mg
Potassium: 151 mg
Carbs: 20 g
Fiber: 4.2 g
Sugar: 2.9 g
Protein: 3.9 g
Calcium: 6%
Iron: 11 %
Powered by Recipage



It's been a while since I shared updates about my kitten (so no complaints now!). Lily is about 5 months old! Where does time go? We were watching videos the other day from when we first got her and she is so different, now she is a proper cat, no stumbling or slipping on her clumsy little paws (except when I wash the floor, LOL). I thought I would share this funny habit of hers with you. We thought it was pure coincidence but not anymore. My husband and I, both have long hair so naturally, we use hair ties. She grabs them in the middle of the night, even if hidden, and puts them on our shoes, his on his and mine on mine, LOL!!! Cats are sooo weird!!!!



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...