Saturday, July 7, 2012

Moderation

I have always been an extremist, unfortunately, especially when it's regarding food. I've gone gluten-free, low-carb, almost went vegan, sugar-free, etc. Now I'm in the process of consuming everything in moderation, or at least I'm attempting to do so. The latest challenge has been to consume less soy, but not for the common known "health risks" (nothing has been proven yet), but for the environment. One of the main reasons that I'm a vegetarian is that I want to respect every living being in the planet (yes, that also includes humans), and it seems that in order to increase the production of soy, forests are being destroyed, especially in the Brazilian Amazon. Because I am trying to practice moderation, I will still consume soy products once in a while (cannot replace tofu), but whenever possible I'll substitute it with something else. Balance is the key.



All that goodness going into a bread!!
Now, for this post I want to share with you this recipe from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen. It is a Gluten-Free Flatbread Recipe made from Soaked Whole Grains (yeast-free, vegan). I've made it twice in less than a week, it is just amazing! It tastes delicious and it feels wonderful to know it's so healthy! The first time, I didn't have brown rice so I replaced it with lentils and split peas, it was so good that I decided to make it with a variety of grains plus the legumes.






I am posting just the ingredients and nutritional info, being that I modified the recipe just a bit. Visit Ali and Tom's blog for the detailed instructions!




Makes 18 squares

1/4 cup millet

1/4 cup brown rice

1/2 cup barley

1/2 cup of lentils

1/2 cup split peas ( or replace with lentils)

2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar, for soaking

2 1/4 - 2 1/2 cup water

1/3 cup flax seeds

1/3 cup unflavored protein powder

1 tbsp olive oil

1 1/2 tsp sea salt

1 tbsp sodium free baking powder


Nutritional Information per square


Calories: 92
Total Fat: 2.0 g (saturated 0.2g, Polyunsaturated 0.9g, Mononsaturated 0.8g, Trans 0g)
 Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 182.3 mg
Potassium: 138.5mg
Total Carbs: 13.5g
Dietary Fiber: 4.4g
Sugars: 0.7g
Protein: 6.0g
Vitamin A: 0.2%
Vitamin C: 0.7%
Calcium: 2.9% 
Iron: 7.5%

Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.  


Now run to their site for the instructions! But wait, don't leave just yet if you like kittens!

Lily is already nine weeks-old. She is showing some adult cat behaviors but at the same time she just can't get enough of her kittenhood :-). Now she is really jumping, very high in fact. The other new thing is hissing, yesterday she hissed for the first time...at the broom! Lol!

 This is the first time I have a cat (and I should know better, working in an animal hospital) but she looks really big for a nine-week old kitten!






LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...