Wednesday, June 20, 2012

High Protein Hummus

These past two weeks I haven't really cooked anything new, taking care of a kitten requires a lot of time and effort! Lily is now seven weeks old and it is so wonderful to be able to witness all her discoveries. At four weeks she started climbing everything and now she is running at a super speed and starting to jump. She also started scratching some furniture (and us!) so I had to use the double-sided tape method to scare her away (and a spray bottle for emergency situations). It's been a fun experience so far, I hope she grows up to be a sweet loving cat, she's been very sociable from day one so we'll see...





So yesterday I finally got to try something new, I am in the process of cleaning out my pantry, I love food shopping but I never get to cook all of the things I buy. In the past three weeks I've been trying to buy just the basics (milk, eggs, peanut butter!, etc.). So I cooked a bag of chickpeas I've had waiting for a while (only 20 minutes in the pressure cooker, unbelievable!) and decided to make a high protein and more nutritious version by adding protein powder, cauliflower and coconut oil. This recipe was inspired by the book Veganomicon ( a must for any vegetarian household!). Hope you like it, I loved it :-)



High Protein Hummus

by Ruth Reynoso-Sance
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: blender simmer steam stove-top appetizer entree sandwich side vegetarian, vegan cauliflower chickpeas







Ingredients (8 servings (1/2 cup each))
  • 3 cups garbanzo beans, cooked ( or 2 cans)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups cauliflower, boiled
  • 2 scoops unflavored protein powder (25 g of protein per scoop)
  • 2 tablespoons Tahini sauce
  • 2 tablespoons coconut and/or olive oil
  • Juice of 1 medium lemon
  • 1 tablespoons ground cumin
  • Salt, to taste
  • Water
  • Paprika and Parsley for garnish
Instructions

In a blender or food processor add all the ingredients except the paprika and parsley and process until smooth, add water to reach the desired consistency.
Garnish with paprika and parsley
Enjoy!!


Nutritional Information
Calories: 218
Total Fat: 9.7 g (Saturated 3.8 g, Polyunsaturated 0.8 g, Monounsaturated 0.6 g, Trans 0 g)
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Potassium: 241.5 mg
Total Carbs: 20.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.8
Sugars: 3.6 g
Protein: 13.7 g
Vitamin A: 0.4%
Vitamin C: 31.2%
Calcium: 4.0%
Iron: 17.9%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Powered by Recipage

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...