Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pleasure in pain? And my favorite smoothie recipe!


On Saturday, I went to the dentist to have my left upper and lower wisdom teeth removed, ouch! The experience was not so bad although I guess it doesn't count as I am not afraid of dentist, at all. That is a weird fact, I haven't really met anyone who's not afraid when visiting a dentist's office, maybe dentists themselves I'd imagine! And weirder is to say I had the best weekend in years. Yes, I was in pain but I had pain meds to soothe me out but the best part is that I wasn't torturing myself with tasks I should be doing, I let myself rest not feeling guilty. I read a book, watched movies and slept and felt wonderful! I really could not eat anything, especially the first day, I only drank some half- melted sorbet but it was so painful that I was discouraged to try anything else, I wasn't hungry either which helped my case. The next couple of days I survived on smoothies and hummus. Best diet ever, LOL! Just kidding, consuming just a small amount of calories can bring your body into survival mode, not letting you burn any calories, so don't do it!


White Bean Hummus. Just regular hummus  made with white beans, parsley and topped with paprika :P

 So talking of smoothies, here is one of my favorites! This recipe is really easy, perfect for busy mornings when you need something filling, nutritious and delicious, fast! I love the banana and coffee combination, in this case I have Kahlua coffee but if you don't have it, you can just add a few drops of vanilla extract and it tastes just as wonderful. Every morning I also eat 2 tablespoons of flax meal as it is an important source of Omega-3 for vegetarians, I encourage you to start using it in your meals. You can toast the whole seeds and then ground them, they taste amazing this way! Enjoy!



Makes about 16 oz


Ingredients

1 large banana
6 oz of Kahlua coffee (or regular coffee and a few drops of vanilla extract)
8 oz of milk of choice
Sweetener of choice to taste, optional
2 tablespoons flax meal
Salt, one pinch
6 ice cubes (about 1/2 cup)




Directions

In a blender combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth. Serve and wake up!


Nutritional Information (whole recipe, no sweetener and 2% milk)

Total Fat: 9.3 g
Cholesterol: 19.5 g
Potassium: 1033 g
Total Carbs: 58.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 8.7 g
Sugars: 34.5 g
Protein: 12.6 g
Calories: 348



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...