Sunday, February 12, 2012

Carrot and Wine Sauce over Sweet Potato Gnocchi

This sauce has been in my life since I can remember. It is so easy that it's ideal for those busy nights when dirtying a lot of pots and pans is out of the question. In fifteen minutes you've got a delicious meal, just start cooking the pasta while you prepare it. Today I chose to make the sweet potato gnocchi from  A Culinary Education (one of my Liebster Award Winners!), they were delicious! The only change I made is I substituted 1/4 cup of whole wheat pastry flour for the same amount of white flour as I always try to add whole grain in all my meals. Oh, and I made just a third of the recipe so if you make the whole recipe you would have to substitute 3/4 cup.  Once the gnocchi were tossed with the sauce, I sprinkled some Parmesan Cheese and freshly grated nutmeg (a very important ingredient in order to round up the flavors of the sauce and the sweet potatoes!) Check it out, she gives great tips on how to make them! (and come back to try my sauce!)




Serves 4
Ingredients for the Carrot and Wine Sauce

1 teaspoon Olive Oil
1 large onion (250g), chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 medium carrots (235g), shredded
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cups water
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Method

In a medium saucepan, fry the onion with the olive oil until tender.
Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the shredded carrots, wine and water.
Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add salt and Pepper to taste.
Toss with your favorite pasta. 
Enjoy! 


Nutritional Information for the Sauce, per serving

Total Fat: 1.3 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Potassium: 288 mg
Total Carbs: 15.9 g
Fiber: 2.8 g
Sugars: 5.4 g
Protein: 0.8 g
Calories: 87 

Nutritional Information for the Sweet Potato Gnocchi
1/3 of the original recipe makes 4 servings (135 g/ 4.8 oz gnocchi each serving) 

Total Fat: 0.7 g
Cholesterol: 15.3 mg
Potassium: 606.9 mg
Total Carbs: 50.8 g
Fiber: 5.3 g
Sugars: 1.4 g
Protein: 5.6 g
Calories: 230




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...