Monday, January 30, 2012

Peas, Chard and Gruyere Pie

This pie is a bit different than most pies, I used pizza dough for it. So basically, it would be a pizza pie. I modified the traditional dough by substituting half of the oil by butter to make it softer. It really works! The dough is light and soft and not so heavy like regular pie doughs are.

This recipe was inspired by these 3 little guys! When I saw them I said: I have to make something with peas so I can share this cuteness with all of you!








The other day we went to the Disney store and I couldn't resist myself when I opened the pod and those 3 little faces were smiling at me!!I had to get them! I also, decided to get one for my mom, my sister and my mother-in-law, their reactions were hilarious!






Back to the recipe!



Ingredients
 
 For the pizza dough (recipe adapted from The Bread Bible):
1 cup warm water ( 105-115 degrees F)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
Pinch of sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2-2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded mozzarella
 
 For the filling:
2 bunches of Chard ( green, Swiss or rainbow)
2 cups frozen peas
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, cubed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon lemon juice3 oz Gruyere cheese, or to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 egg
 
 For the dough:
In a small bowl combine the warm water, yeast and sugar. 
Let it stand at room temperature until foamy, 10-15 minutes. 
In the bowl of an electric mixer pour the yeast mixture, butter, oil, salt and whole wheat flour. 
Stir to combine. 
Add the all purpose flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough clears the sides of the bowl. 
Switch to the dough hook and knead for 2-3 minutes or until the dough is smooth and springy. 
If you don't have an electric mixer that makes dough, just mix it with a hand whisk and when
 it starts to get too stiff , continue with your hands. Knead by hand for 8-10 minutes.
Place the dough in a greased deep container. Turn once to coat the top and cover with 
plastic wrap. 
Let rise at room temperature until tripled in bulk. About 2 hours.
 
 For the filling:
Wash and trim the stalks of the chard leaves. 
Chop them and combine with the peas, garlic, green pepper cubes, lemon juice and oregano. 
Cook until all the ingredients are tender. 
Add the Gruyere cheese and stir until melted. At this point you can add more cheese
 if you'd like. 
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Let it cool a few minutes, add the egg and transfer to a blender or food processor, blend until smooth. 
 
Assembly:
 
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 
Grease an 8" round springform pan.
Divide the dough in two, one piece slightly bigger than the other.
With a rolling pin, stretch the dough into a circle about 14" in diameter.
Place it in the pan. 
Spread the filling on the first layer of dough.
Roll the second piece of dough into a circle 9-10" in diameter. 
Place it on top of the filling. 
Roll the edges of dough together in sections to form a rope pattern. 
Sprinkle the top with the mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 25-30 minutes. 
Remove the springform sides.
Let it cool for 15 minutes and slice with a serrated knife. 
 
(I apologize for the weird spacing on the text, blogger does that to me sometimes)
 
UPDATE 2/1/2012
I forgot to put the nutritional info!! I calculated these numbers assuming you
use 1 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour and 3 cups of cooked chard. These results can vary
depending on how big the bunch of chard is and how much flour you need to form the dough. 
 Sorry guys, here it goes:
 
Serving size: 1/8 recipe 
 
Total Fat: 10.7 g
Protein: 15.5g
Sugar: 4.3g
Carbs: 41.6g
Calories: 325 
 
 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...