Monday, January 9, 2012

The Most Important Lesson

As promised, I want to share with you what my last week of 2011 was like. I set the goal of making those last days unforgettable by gaining experiences and doing things I have never done before. Now, you are going to be surprised when you read some of my activities, I am was less normal than I thought! This year I am going to try to do something new each week, to juice what life has to offer! I am also going to keep a journal, my goal is to write every day so at the end of the year I can read how I have changed, last year was amazing and full of changes and new experiences, so this year, I want to record everything, not miss a moment of life.
Enjoy my week! 

My week started out with a show. As you may know my husband is a musician and singer and he has recently started singing in a new band. They had their first live show and I went to see them, it was fantastic! I am so proud of him and the other members of the band, they are amazing! They haven't uploaded the video yet but I will share it as soon as they do :)

The same night, I tried something else that was new to me, a beer!! Yes, apparently, I had no adolescence. To be honest, I've had 4 sips of beer in my entire life, before this. So I said, it is time I drink a whole beer! Did I like it?...I really don't care for its taste, but I felt a bit happier afterwards! :-P





The next thing I did, and it wasn't only new to me but to my parents as well, is to join a gym! We actually started the new year's resolution of fitness, a week earlier.  The best part of all, is that I am sharing this activity with all my family, including my husband and siblings, besides my parents.


On Wednesday night, after leaving the gym at 10pm, we were all starving so we decided to grab something to eat. We stopped by QuickCheck, I had never eaten there before. We ordered some sandwiches which were OK, but the most important thing was the situation: Wednesday night enjoying a great time with my sister, brother and husband and eating! What more could I ask for? Very unusual for me, as I go to bed relatively early, but not lately though, I am learning to enjoy my nights.




Before & After
On the last day of the year, I wanted to feel special so I got my first manicure. Twenty-six years without getting a professional manicure should be considered illegal! I loved it! Next up: a pedicure! How exciting! Lol :-)






Lastly, for New Year's Eve, we decided to dine in NYC. We chose an Italian restaurant named Aleo which had some vegetarian options and good ratings according to Yelp. We were very excited which made the disappointment even worse :( When we got there, we were greeted by a very nervous manager, we had made reservations but it looked like they were accepting walk-ins, luckily they had a table available when we arrived but others with reservations were having trouble finding one. The food arrived 1 1/2 hours after we ordered.

 Once the food arrived this is what we thought:
Insalata Tri-Colore
Arugula, endive, & radicchio with shaved Parmigiano & a lemon-garlic vinaigrette
This salad lacked flavor, no excitement at all. I did not taste it as I dislike bitter vegetables.
Vegetarian Green Pea
With truffle/parmesan potato chips
The soup was good, it was creamy and the potato chips gave it an interesting flavor.  
Penne
Sautéed eggplant, crimini mushrooms, light tomato cream sauce & ricotta topping
 The tomato sauce was very generic, the "highlight" was the ricotta as it cut the acidity of the sauce. Not a great dish, I do not recommend it.

Spaghetti con Salmone
Salmon strips with scallions, black olives, melted goat cheese in a fresh tomato sauce.
This is what my husband ordered. He said the salmon was decent but the tomato sauce was not good at all. I admit, he is picky with tomato sauces, they cannot be too sweet or acidic but if it was like mine, he was right about this one.
Quatro Formagio Ravioli
Homemade ravioli filled with ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, & fontina, cheeses in a roasted red pepper & cream sauce topped with sautéed & julienne vegetables.
Three out of five ordered these ravioli. They said they were good but they were definitely not worth $20. The portion was very very small, which is OK if you are dining in a fine restaurant but not for here. My half portion of pasta was bigger than their full portion of ravioli. It makes no sense at all. 
We agreed to not order dessert, just pay and leave. Maybe on a regular day, this restaurant is decent but we had a very bad experience.

My last week of 2011 had its ups and downs but it was all new and I reached the goal of starting this year with new knowledge. But the most important lesson of all is what my sister told me on December 27, 2011:
Maybe what we have to learn from all of this is that no matter what we do, everything will be new because there is going to be only ONE December 27, 2011.

Every day is unique and it should be special just because it exists, just like every existing thing in the universe.



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...