Monday, December 12, 2011

Coconut-Chocolate Tres Leches (vegan)

Tres Leches is a very popular cake in Latin America. It is basically a cake soaked with condensed milk, evaporated milk and cream or regular milk. Even though I am from South America, the first time I tasted it was this year when I made it for my husband's birthday. Everyone loved it but unfortunately, the results were not that great, several members of my family are lactose intolerant. That's why I decided to make a vegan version everyone could enjoy with no regrets! I created two versions of this cake but today I will only share the one that I feel goes perfect with the season. This cake is absolutely amazing, the rum and coconut extract combination gives it a special and comforting flavor. I hope you enjoy this cake which I consider one of my best creations so far (I don't mean to brag, but you'll know once you try it!, lol! )

 8-12 servings
 
Ingredients

For the Cake:
2/3 cup sugar

2/3 cup Earth Balance Coconut Spread, room temperature (or margarine)
1 tsp. rum extract
1 tsp. coconut extract
  2 cups  Soymilk
2/3 cup cornstarch
2  2/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
For the Milks:

1 can (15oz) cream of coconut
1 can (13.5oz) light coconut milk or 1 2/3 cup of coconut milk beverage
1 cup  Soymilk
Decoration:

1/3 cup powdered sugar
9 marraschino cherries

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Grease a 9 inch round springform pan.

In a large bowl ,with a hand or stand mixer, cream the sugar and coconut spread. 


 Add the rum and coconut extracts.

In a separate medium bowl, sift together the cornstarch, flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well.

Add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture (¼ cup at a time), alternating with the first 2 cups of soymilk.
Add the apple cider vinegar and mix with a spoon, discoloration will occur. 

  Pour the batter into the previously greased pan.

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.

In a medium bowl mix the cream of coconut, coconut milk and soymilk.

When the cake is ready, let it cool for 5-10 minutes and invert it onto a plate with a rim and prick it all over with a fork. 


 
Pour the milks on top of the cake and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until the milks get absorbed.

 
Decorate with the powdered sugar and marraschino cherries.

Enjoy!. 

 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...