Monday, November 14, 2011

Sweet Potato, Carrot and Chickpea Salad

This past weekend was a little hectic for the Sance Family, but somehow I managed to try two recipes from blogger friends and make a salad of my own. I know, it's not much but I am still trying to figure out how other foodies get so much accomplished in so little time, like blogging everyday!! (Any tips are welcome ;)

On Friday we had an light dinner and by 7 o'clock I was craving something sweet. The Plum Clafouti from Kitchie-coo came to mind as it looked delicious and easy. Unfortunately, I had no plums but I had a lot of pears so I made a Pear Clafouti. Because the amount of flour is so small I used whole wheat flour instead of white flour. It was divine! I ate some warm with some ice cream (yum!) and the next day I ate it cold for breakfast, still incredibly good!! I promise to get plums to make the original :)

On Sunday, I decided to try the Roasted Accordion Potatoes from Apron Strings and Foodie Things ...
 Once again, I could not make the original as I had a few potatoes and a lot of sweet potatoes. So I made 1/3 potato 2/3 sweet potato. If you check out the recipe you'll see you can make it look very pretty ;). Anyway, it was delicious! I could not stop tasting (and burning myself) when I took it out of the oven. I recommend you try the sweet potatoes, though , they were amazing!



After a pretty cold and windy weekend, Mother Nature is giving us a little warmth today and tomorrow so I took advantage of that to make this Sweet Potato, Carrot and Chickpea Salad. And speaking of beans, I always try to avoid buying them canned, mostly because it is less expensive to cook them at home. I buy a pound or two in the bulk section of Whole Foods Market, soak them overnight and I cook them the next morning. I add no salt or spices so they can be used in sweet or savory dishes. When they are cool enough I put them in containers, I use big yogurt containers for this purpose because they cannot get easily recycled (plastic #5), and I freeze them. It takes a little time but it is mostly inactive time. OK, so enough of this introduction, I hope you enjoy this colorful and nutritious recipe!



 Ingredients

1 medium sweet potato (or yam), grated
5 medium carrots, grated
5 green onions, sliced
1 cup chickpeas, cooked and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup raisins (optional)


Directions
Mix all the ingredients very well. You can add the raisins for a little more sweetness or just omit them (as seen on the picture, I like raisins but my husband doesn't so I add them to my plate only) Either way it tastes great! Enjoy!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...